The site of the actor named William B. Davis from the TV series “The X-Files” is located at www.williambdavis.com (no 'jr'). We are NOT related.
Accomplished software developer with extensive experience in all facets of the software development lifecycle,
user training, and support. Skilled at documentation and user interface design. Always interested in learning and evaluating
new technologies while keeping focus on long-term system planning and maintainability.
- Web technologies: HTML, CSS, Java Server Pages (JSP), and training on ASP.NET
- Frameworks: Bootstrap, JQuery, Jasmine, Materialize, Flask. Django
- Testing: JUnit
- Scripting: Windows/DOS batch scripting, Unix bash, VMS DCL, Microsoft VBScript, IBM JCL.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac OS & OS X (Unix), Linux, AIX, DEC/HP OpenVMS
- Integrated Development Environments (IDEs): AWS Cloud9, GitPod, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, IBM RAD 6, Visual Studio, VB6 & VBA, ISPF & Panvalet, MPW, Make
- Databases: MySQL, DB2, SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server 2000, Oracle, AirTable, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
- Tools: Git, GitHub, GitLab, Heroku, Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo), CVS, PVCS, Visual Source Safe, GForge, SourceForge, Make, Oracle SQL Developer, DBVisualizer, MySQL Workbench, ServiceNow, Trello, Skype for Business, Webex, Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, Zoom, Slack, HipChat
- Other technologies: WinSock, Websphere, Websphere CE (Apache Geronimo), Apache Tomcat. Splunk, AppDynamics
- Older technologies: Minicomputers (DEC/HP VAX and Alpha using OpenVMS), and mainframes (IBM 3090)
- Limited experience with: Perl, Ruby/Rails, Postman, various Assembly languages, Trilogy CML, Drupal, Mule ESB
Berkley Technology Services Urbandale, IA
Software Engineer 04/2021 - 03/2023
- Helped stabilize, maintain and enhance BTS’s PrintUtil policy document print/email/fax/archive management workflow web app after major department staff attrition; almost all subject matter experts had left before I started (and all had left shortly after I started.) I worked with another replacement worker and with the limited available documentation and minimal training to “keep the lights on” and received a spot bonus for excellent work. Systems uses xPression and Quadient third party PDF/Postscript document generation software on Linux and Windows servers.
- Worked on their CCM Print Tools and Enterprise Print System (EPS) web apps. Made code changes using Java & SQL. Made changes to add elements and attributes to XML export files. Automated startup and monitoring using Windows scripting to ensure the app stayed operational.
- Updated PrintUtil and PDF Compare software to use authenticated SMTP email for the email and fax sending (via email), for improved information security.
- Completely replaced PDF File comparison software server so old it was running Windows Server 2008. Updated third party software Enfocus Switch (workflow management) and STREAMdiff (PDF and other file difference comparison) and internally developed software used for regression testing of form changes. Worked to automate monitoring and startup so that software would be operational at all times.
- Participated in switching to Agile workstream project management method.
- Experience with IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse IDEs, Git, Postman, Scoop, DbVisualizer, Atlassian Jira, Confluence, BitBucket/Stash, and Bamboo. SuperPuTTY, WinSCP, FileZilla, Cmder, Git Bash for Windows, Thycotic, KDiff, etc.
Apex Systems / Wells Fargo West Des Moines, IA
Application Systems Engineer 5 / Imaging Services Repository Platform Support 02/2019 - 02/2021
- Working as a contractor through Apex Systems for Wells Fargo’s ICMP (Imaging & Content Management Platform) Repository Support Team. ICMP is one of the largest image repositories in the world, starting with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage loan documents from Wells Fargo Home Mortgage and is expanding rapidly into other Wells Fargo lines of business. Millions of new documents are ingested daily and this is also growing rapidly.
- Worked to reduce the number of image import problems by addressing common problems such as file conversion problems.
- Experience using Oracle SQL Developer and tools like Splunk, AppDynamics,, and many internal tools to monitor and resolve problems with the image repository database, server nodes and related systems.
- Also used: Atlassian Jira and Confluence, other internal wikis, Remedy/PAC2000 problem ticketing system, Skype for Business.
Dynamo LLC / Trility Consulting, LLC / Masonite Urbandale, IA
Software Development Consultant 11/2017 - 08/2018
- Working as a contractor through Dynamo LLC in partnership with Trility Consulting. Trility had a contract with a large nationwide architectural door manufacturing company, Masonite, to learn, document, maintain, modify and debug a mission-critical legacy order-entry system after all but one part-time member of the development staff familiar with it had left, while it was being replaced with a modern cloud-based system. No documentation was available.
- Pair-programmed/debugged with a second contractor.
- The legacy system was written using VB.Net 2005 and the Trilogy SalesBuilder Constraint Modeling Language (CML) that was used to create an AI rules engine for configuring and checking orders.
- Other tools worked with: Git, Atlassian BitBucket, Slack, Microsoft Visual Source Safe, Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2017, Windows batch scripting for automation. Also investigated AutoIt and other testing automation tools.
- Some research and development in VB.Net on GUI testing automation for Test Driven Development of changes and bug fixes.
State of Iowa - Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) Des Moines, IA
Information Technology Specialist 3 - Integrated Information for Iowa team 08/2007 - 09/2017
- Maintained and enhanced the Online Payroll Warrants web site (Java/JSP, Eclipse & IBM RAD 6 IDE, IBM WebSphere & Websphere CE / Apache Geronimo web app servers, Web services) used by most state employees to view their paycheck stubs. Worked with Central Payroll, server team, networking team, and mainframe team to bring many feature upgrades to completion, also on moving site from WebSphere 5.1 on IBM AIX (Unix) to WebSphere Community Edition (a.k.a. Apache Geronimo) on Windows. Found and fixed several security holes in original code that would have allowed malicious parties to access employee pay data.
- After not having used COBOL in many years, refreshed knowledge quickly and assisted the mainframe programming team with several COBOL programming projects on the mainframe-based State Human Resources Information System (HRIS). Assistance was mostly report changes, data extraction, and data loading.
- After the staff who maintained it left the State, took over and enhanced the COBOL-based mainframe back-end for the Online Payroll Warrants system database. Worked with mainframe staff to switch from original IBM MQ Series messaging to use of a web service (written in COBOL!)
- Enhanced reliability and reduced errors or outages in Income Offset project programs (Java, Mule ESB, Ruby & Ruby on Rails), which reclaimed tens of millions of dollars of money owed to state agencies annually by keeping (offsetting) state tax refunds, lottery/casino winnings or payments to vendors who owed debts to the state. In FY 2008, $22.5M was reclaimed and by FY 2017, $48.8M was reclaimed. This system was also used by cities, fire departments, community colleges, state universities, and utilities in Iowa.
- Handled daily processing issues in the batch processing cycle of state financial/ERP system (CGI’s AMS Advantage) AIX and Windows batch jobs. Use of UNIX bash shell, Windows command prompt, and other tools to diagnose and solve problems.
- Many other programming projects using Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications in Excel, Word, and Outlook, such as:
- Extracting calendar events from Outlook for reporting purposes, written to a spreadsheet.
- Processing hundreds of job descriptions in Word documents using regular expressions to extract five-digit codes and descriptions and write to an Excel spreadsheet. The program was embedded inside its own documentation in Word.
- Maintaining and upgrading field validation code behind a complex expense report created as an Excel spreadsheet used state-wide.
- Customizing and creating spreadsheet formatting macros for attachment to reports created by IBM Brass Ring.
- Co-administrator for maintaining IBM’s Kenexa Brass Ring system, which ran the State of Iowa’s job posting & applicant tracking system. Extensive experience on Kenexa Brass Ring Workbench administration tool and reporting tool.
- Assisted in setup and conversion from IBM Kenexa Brass Ring to the more government-oriented NEOGOV job posting and applicant tracking system; served as co-administrator.
- Set up and administered the WebDAM digital asset management system (photos, video, documents) for clients such as the Iowa Dept. of Natural Resources and Iowa Dept. of Economic Development (Tourism).